Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What's an addict to do?

Summer is here, and for television, that means reruns, bad reality shows, and the occasional miniseries. It can be hugely depressing for a TV addict. I mean, we need a constant stream of thought-provoking narrative and witty dialogue or we just can't go on. So to remedy this, I am filling up my Netflix queue with television that I somehow never got around to watching.

I'm starting off with the short-lived Bryan Fuller co-created (Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me) series Wonderfalls (2004). I was going to include it in my last post, but I didn't know enough about it to blog about, hence my summer viewing. The premise seems really cool, and Lee Pace is in it (my beloved Pushing Daisies piemaker), so I'm looking forward to it. (I was just struck with the notion of Bryan Fuller and Joss Whedon and JJ Abrams all working on a project together. I must place myself in the position to make that meeting happen.)

After that I'm going to finish Dead Like Me. I was over halfway through the second season, but for some reason never finished it. I was watching it on Hulu originally, and it's also on Netflix streaming, but my computer just can't handle it. It's rather sad, really. If anyone wants to send me the money for a new laptop, feel free. :]

After that it will be either Dollhouse, Studio 60, or The 4400. The 4400 because I remember thinking it looked really cool when it was on, but never saw it. That was before I discovered my voracious need for stories in television form. (And Summer Glau is in eight episodes, which is cool.) (Also, what channel did it even come on?)

In current TV news, I wanted to watch the NBC summer television event thing Persons Unknown last night, but wasn't able to. It seems like a pretty interesting premise, but not something to ask too much of. Considering I don't get channels with great summer TV like USA or SyFy, I'm having to make do with what is available.What are you watching this summer?

3 comments:

  1. What I'm NOT watching is reruns of Castle, the Mentalist, and Lost, which I would ABSOLUTELY watch if they were on. There's always reruns of NCIS that I missed, and then there's the beloved HGTV and Food Network shows that we missed while watching the aforementioned shows.

    Sigh. Maybe I can catch up on some writing...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 4400 was on USA Network. I watched it--yes, it was pretty good. But it was canceled before they could answer any questions, so it'll leave you hanging, unless they've added some eps to the DVDs that never aired.

    I've been catching up on Joss Whedon shows, too. I watched all seven seasons of Buffy in about three months, and am now working my way through Angel---I'm currently in the middle of season 3, though for some reason the computer I was able to watch episodes on last night (my wifi laptop) won't let me watch today. Oh, well, need to work anyway. (Hey, did you know that Joss Whedon is writing the screenplay for the movie Captain America, which is supposed to be out next year?)

    I have a couple of series that are late spring to summer runs: Army Wives (Lifetime) and Merlin (Syfy), so I have those to look forward to each week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Merlin Season 1 is available for Watch Instantly on Netflix, though it's not out on DVD yet (http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Merlin_Season_1/70114188?strackid=7f6a5ed9908067d8_0_srl&strkid=2119663191_0_0&trkid=438381). Another great BBC series you might want to check out is Primeval. (http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Primeval_Seasons_1_2/70104256?strackid=c2c11b5c9ecd1ce_0_srl&strkid=2138865532_0_0&trkid=438381)

    ReplyDelete